Monday 2 June 2014

Masala Chai


















I have always disliked Chai Tea, or rather hated the store bought, prepackaged stuff that came from the grocery store after being on the shelf for God knows how long.  I feel like maybe I didn’t give Chai a fair chance, and I will try anything at least twice, one time just to try it, and a second time just because I might like it the second time around. Instead of going out and buying a different pre packaged Chai Tea or Syrup based Chai Latté, I thought I would pull out the big guns out and make it from scratch.  This Chai is absolutely, soothingly spiced and aromatic. I used fresh ginger and added lemon peel, although I don’t think lemon peel is a traditional ingredient, and topped it off with freshly ground cinnamon.















Ingredients 1 serving
1/2 tsp whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1/8 tsp cardamom seeds
8 whole allspice berries
1/4 tsp peppercorns, Crushed using the back of a large knife
1/2 – 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
1 strip of lemon peel
grated nutmeg to taste
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup water
contents of 1 black tea bag
brown sugar to taste

Combine all the aromatic spices in a small pot with the water and milk over a low- medium heat and scald the milk for about 7-10 minutes. Add the tea leaves to the liquid and let the infuse for another 5 minutes or up to 10 minutes depending on how strong you like your Chai.

Strain the tea into a mug, add sugar to your liking and top off with freshly ground cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment