Sunday 8 June 2014

Sourdough Flapjacks Recipe out of The Texas Cowboy Kitchen Cook Book by Grady Spears with June Naylor
















I love, love, LOVE western novels, particularly  the ones written by Larry McMurtry. I guess you can say I am in love with the American frontier, or the Old West, and so when I saw this cook book, The Texas Cowboy Kitchen Cookbook, there was no way I was leaving the book store without it.. There are so many great recipes in here; Lone Star Beer and Molasses Baked Beans, Green Chile – Cheese Grits, Buttermilk Ice Cream, and Cheddar and Black Pepper Biscuits just to name a few. Not only are there yummy recipes in this book, but the book comes with beautiful archival Old West photos.
One of the recipes that I was dying to try was the Sourdough Flapjacks with Cowboy Blueberry Butter.  I made half of the sourdough starter recipe to use for the flapjacks, and still have extra sourdough starter that I can keep in my fridge and “feed”  and also use for future flapjacks, or Chicken Fried Steak.
Unfortunately I am without blueberries today, frozen or fresh, I do have frozen raspberries but thought that the blueberry butter sounded better than “raspberry butter” so I simply made a raspberry sauce by simmering down, 1 1/2 cups of frozen raspberries with 1/4 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar for 15 minutes. The folks behind the Texas Cowboy Cookbook, test kitchen, sure know what they were doing. I am really looking forward to trying more recipes from this book, and of course will post pictures and commentary. I think the Lone Star and Molasses Baked Beans will be next.

















No comments:

Post a Comment